Your winter checklist
Winter is just around the corner and with weather forecasts being typically unreliable it pays to get prepared, both at home and in your business. Simply follow our handy tips to stay warm, cosy and dry whatever the weather.
- Make sure the pipes within your roof void are properly lagged to prevent them freezing.
- Clear out your gutters and drains to ensure rain and melting snow can flow freely away from your home or office.
- Examine roof and exterior walls for any potential problems such as missing tiles, slipped flashings or cracked rendering, then make sure they’re repaired before water can get in.
- If you have a condensing boiler, ensure the external condensate outflow pipe is properly insulated and regularly check to ensure the pipe doesn’t freeze.
- Defrost frozen pipes with a hairdryer or hot water bottle, then open the tap servicing the pipe. If the pipe has burst but the water is still frozen, turn off the stopcock and seek urgent support. If your home insurance policy includes home emergency cover, seek support from your insurer.
- If you have an open or wood burning fire, make sure the chimney and flues are clear, sweeping out the soot and other potentially dangerous build-up.
- Get in before the busiest time of year and have your boiler serviced by a registered engineer, bleed your radiators too in order to improve the performance of your heating system.
- If you are lucky enough to be getting away over winter, leave your heating on low to prevent pipes freezing and bursting, the frost setting on your heating may not be sufficient. Turn the water off at the stopcock and drain your water systems if you plan on leaving your home unoccupied for longer periods.
- Keep useful numbers all in one place in case of emergency.
Most importantly of all, take care and stay safe this winter.